This procedure covers all situations involving the disposal of removable storage media. Landlords who work with Purple Frog Group Limited must ensure that all removable storage media are cleaned before being disposed of.
All owners of removable storage media are responsible for disposing of removable storage media according to this procedure.
1. Hard disks must be formatted and cleaned of all data and software before being reused or disposed of
2. The secure disposal of disposable storage media as well as the disposal of all data processing equipment is the responsibility of the landlord
3. The landlord will keep a log demonstrating what media has been destroyed or disposed of, when and by whom.
4. Removable storage media devices that contain confidential information must be destroyed and must never be reused
5. Removable storage media devices that contain confidential information must be subjected to a risk assessment before they are sent for repair in order to establish whether they ought to be repaired or replaced
6. All media must be disposed of according to the legal and regulatory requirements for the disposal of computer equipment
7. Documents that contain confidential and restricted information should be shredded by their owners prior to being destroyed. The shredded waste must be removed by an approved service provider.